Friday, February 19, 2010

The Idea Does Appeal


I occasionally get asked (frequently in an accusatory tone) why I, as an atheist, am so terribly interested in religious stories. I loved the mythology (however warped) in Darksiders. Some of my favorite movies and books center around Christian mythology and ideas, especially Revelation. (End of Days? Loved it! The Exorcist? Can't be beat!)


First of all, good mythology is good mythology, and angels and demons and horsemen of the apocalypse are just fantastic. (I am also terribly fond of African aboriginal creation myths.) The death, the destruction, the redemption, the salvation, the eternal struggle between good and evil- I'm a sucker for a good story.


Beyond that, I do like the idea of god. I like the idea of an all powerful being who cares for me, who is in charge of it all. I like the idea of a purpose for everyone and everything. Unfortunately, just because I find the idea appealing, doesn't make it true. The idea that I am the most fabulously beautiful woman since Helen of Troy appeals, too, but that's not reality either.


I cannot indulge an idea simply because it is appealing. I cannot let illogic and irrationality slide because I wish to. Some people clearly can, but I cannot. I can, however, indulge in a love of old stories and fanciful myths. So I do.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. Interesting approach you take; quite different from my own (which is just of the ol’ “point-and-laugh-at-nonsense” variety). And, the point that just because an idea is appealing does not make it reality, however much one would like to believe in it or for it to be true, is one that simply cannot be stressed enough, especially with all the theists and religionists who pretty much up and admit how they only follow their religion because “it makes them happy”, or “they need that comfort” (as said by a religious rape victim in House). Yes, the idea of a loving superentity presiding over us all and taking care of us is a soothing and endearing one … but mountains of evidence contradicting such a notion are simply impossible to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yes, the idea of a loving superentity presiding over us all and taking care of us is a soothing and endearing one … but mountains of evidence contradicting such a notion are simply impossible to ignore."

    Not only possible, albeit difficult to ignore, but worth a great deal of effort to rationalize the lack of supporting evidence for these dearly held beliefs. If one "needs" a soothing mental myth to help cope with what is often a frightening or unpleasant reality, evidence or lack thereof is beside the point. This also explains why fundamental religionists of all stripes "need" to proselytize; the only affirmation that they "have it right" that they can get is to convince as many others as possible to agree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This also explains why fundamental religionists of all stripes "need" to proselytize; the only affirmation that they "have it right" that they can get is to convince as many others as possible to agree with them.

    Quoted for truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand this. I really love the mythology of the bible; I'm reading it right now going 'this stuff is gold!'. Doesn't mean it's actually good morally or real though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.