Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Kind


Being white, I've never been on the receiving end of a "your kind" or "you people" before I came out as an atheist. (Note: I am not saying that being an open atheist on the internet is in any way comparable to the experience of being a minority in the US, or in other countries.) It's rather jarring every time I come across it. Perhaps because for me, "you people" is not enough letters removed from words I can't even type, let alone say.

I came across "you people" directed at atheists on Ray Comfort's blog. (No matter how much Ray protests that he lurves all the little atheists, he doesn't mind letting through hateful comments about atheists, and someone at Atheist Central is heavily moderating those comments.)

Eddy Allen (of the unaccessible profile)

YES Ray that is true there are NO athiests in fox holes or death beds!! even monkey man Darwin gave up his foolish THEORY When he was faced with DEATH and as you said 10 out of 10 die and then no THEORY will save anybody!!

so dear athiests there you have it as Ray said there are no famous and respected of your foolish kind. and dont say Dawkins because he is NOT respected by me how can anyone believe we came from ALIENS! too much scifi channel and daydreaming there was no MAKER so he can sell foolish books to fools!!!

First of all, how could you possible know that there are no atheists in fox holes or death beds? Have you interviewed every active duty soldier and dying person in the entire world? That seems . . . unlikely. (Think of all the frequent flyer miles!)

Secondly, god doesn't save anyone from dying, so apparently he's no better than THEORIES. Supposedly, the wages of sin are death, but if I don't go to heaven, I'll be tortured forever in hell, which is still living forever. So, no death for anyone, ever.

Thirdly is the money quote: so dear athiests there you have it as Ray said there are no famous and respected of your foolish kind. Can I just say buy a fucking comma? Can I also just say that this is bizarre and unfounded and silly? Hitchens, Dawkins, PZ Myers, Eddie Izzard and Joss "the man himself" Whedon. Seriously, Joss Whedon. How much more famous or respected do you want than that? If you really want more, here you go.

Seriously, though the construction of that sentence makes me think of a time when black children in this country had few heroes, or when homosexuals had no one to point out as a famous and respected homosexual. Not because there weren't respectable people in both groups doing, or capable of doing, great things, but because the society they lived in either prevented them from achieving their potential, or prevented them from being honest about who they were. I've heard people say that President Obama is an atheist. He could be. I suspect he's probably agnostic, but we'll never know. You cannot become President of the United States as anything other than a Christian. So, politicians in this country are Christian whether they are or are not.

A lot of atheists hide. It doesn't mean we, my kind, aren't here.

14 comments:

  1. Eddy Allen - Edgar Allen Poe - POE

    ReplyDelete
  2. you cannot SILENCE ME... but we are going to SILENCE YOU...

    for the idiot called *

    you are not going to tell me what I believe...


    *FORFEIT*

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forfeit

    you go look up this word in a dictionary, you f*cking morons


    we're going to play a NEW GAME...

    FROM NOW ON:

    *******************************************

    EVERYTHING YOU SAY I WILL DOUBLE ON YOU...

    *******************************************
    Atheists,

    you are going to learn even to TALK about GOD the way you do is going to cost you your lives...


    the writing on the wall...



    f*ck you very much!


    THE BOOBQUAKE - 911!


    see how we take a term and convert it into its AUTHENTIC POLITICAL DIMENSION - THAT OF LIBERATION - not just merely harmless expression...

    visit

    http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussion.net/philosophy-f1/the-boobquake-911-t1310.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. you cannot SILENCE ME... but we are going to SILENCE YOU...

    for the idiot called *

    you are not going to tell me what I believe...


    *FORFEIT*

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forfeit

    you go look up this word in a dictionary, you f*cking morons


    we're going to play a NEW GAME...

    FROM NOW ON:

    *******************************************

    EVERYTHING YOU SAY I WILL DOUBLE ON YOU...

    *******************************************
    Atheists,

    you are going to learn even to TALK about GOD the way you do is going to cost you your lives...


    the writing on the wall...



    f*ck you very much!


    THE BOOBQUAKE - 911!


    see how we take a term and convert it into its AUTHENTIC POLITICAL DIMENSION - THAT OF LIBERATION - not just merely harmless expression...

    visit

    http://dissidentphilosophy.lifediscussion.net/philosophy-f1/the-boobquake-911-t1310.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as being discriminated against, I've lucked out: I grew up in the SF Bay Area in the fifties and sixties, lived in Berkeley in the seventies, and moved to Europe in the eighties: all hotbeds of atheism at their respective times. The first time I was persecuted for being an atheist was online, and so far, I've managed to survive the harsh pixels. Perhaps that accounts for my gentle mien with Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit off topic, but I honestly don't understand what good most POE folks do. Unless you're talking something that is SO obviously a fake (in which case it doesn't really conform to Poe's Law, does it?) then doesn't it just rile up the real fundies and atheist-phobes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, the first thing I noticed about Eddy's rant is that evidently he doesn't use spell check or otherwise review the correct spelling of words. Atheist is consistently misspelled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ::yawns at DM - again::

    @ Cynical Nymph - I don't know what purpose a Poe serves, except possibly as a particularly obscure form of mockery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poe's are a demonstration of Poes law, which makes them a form of mockery since Poes law is itself an insult. It's a demonstration of how absurdly extreme a viewpoint is that it's impossible to top even when you're trying.

    Nevertheless I still consider poes to be a species of troll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poes law? Shows my ignorance- I thought it was a reference to Edgar Allen Poe-the poet/writer. No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. um...

    am i the only one who thought DM was sliding into actively threating people?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Denelian: It's not just you - but it's not new, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. there were random curse words and "threats" that God was gonna take care of us - but the "You aren't going to silence me, WE are going to Silence YOU" - that went a bit further, i thought...

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's always been a bit vague on exactly why we should be afraid, or what was going to happen if we didn't mend our wicked ways. A month or two back it was "Crystal Night" and "FINAL WARNING" - which sounded a lot like a Kristallnacht reference, to me at least - but if he's ever specified whether we're in physical danger or spiritual danger, or whether the danger comes from God Almighty or Dennis Markuze, I haven't seen it. I've asked him outright a couple of times, but he disdains to respond.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.