Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fundys of All Flavors Suck

jewish, jews, israel, orthodox, sabbath, anne barker, spitting
It's not just Christian fundys that suck, Jewish fundys do, too.

I would like to note that it's fine to expect guests in your home to obey your rules, whether those rules are removing shoes, not smoking or wearing a head scarf*. Expecting a person not of your religion to obey all the rules of your religion, including rules they may not be aware of, is just insane. Spitting on them as punishment? Batshit fucking crazy.

You heard me- spitting as punishment. It happened to ABC's Anne Barker.

Suddenly the crowd turned on me, screaming in my face. Dozens of angry men began spitting on me.
Spit like rain


I found myself herded against a brick wall as they kept on spitting - on my face, my hair, my clothes, my arms.

It was like rain, coming at me from all directions - hitting my recorder, my bag, my shoes, even my glasses.

Big gobs of spit landed on me like heavy raindrops. I could even smell it as it fell on my face.

Somewhere behind me - I didn't see him - a man on a stairway either kicked me in the head or knocked something heavy against me.

I wasn't even sure why the mob was angry with me. Was it because I was a journalist? Or a woman? Because I wasn't Jewish in an Orthodox area? Was I not dressed conservatively enough?

In fact, I was later told, it was because using a tape-recorder is itself a desecration of the Shabbat even though I'm not Jewish and don't observe the Sabbath.

Unfuckingbelievable.


*I don't think women should be forced by a patriarchal culture to act, talk or dress in a manner they don't wish to. However, when a guest in someone else's home, you do as they ask, or you don't accept the invitation. In my house, you don't wear shoes. I don't care how uncomfortable not wearing shoes makes you, you won't have to pay to refinish the floors.

5 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday and thought pretty much the same thing. I don't get pissed if someone in my home doesn't obey the rules of my religion of they don't know them. However, if you don't obey the rules of my household after I tell them to you I will get upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross.

    I also wonder how much of it was, deep down, because she was a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you know anything about ultraorthodox Jews, you'd know the answer is undoubtedly "a great deal of it"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still waiting to find what points, if any, differentiate fundies from rabid beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is truly, truly awful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.