Monday, April 26, 2010

What's the Difference between My Philosophy and Yours?

My best guess as to what happens when we die is nothing. Neural function ceases, without neural function one cannot thing or feel or be, so . . . nothing. This doesn't scare me, because if I'm gone, just absolutely gone, I can't very well be afraid or lonely or in pain, anymore than my desk is ever afraid or lonely or in pain.

This is, of course, just an educated guess. The evidence seems to point that way, but I won't find out until I get there.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much difference between my beliefs on what happens when you're dead and the Christian belief. (Stick with me.)

Anyhow, I was wondering...many of us still have concerns for family and friends who are unsaved. I've read more than one post on this site where people have hoped that Christ will be patient and that we'll have more time before His return in hopes that some loved ones may still yet be saved....

When we get to heaven will we miss them or grieve for them? The Bible tells us that there will be no more saddness or tears...it seems hard for my tiny little human mind to envision people NOT being sad for a daughter, wife, husband, mom etc etc who will spend eternity in the other place...

You know what? That's an excellent question. And a really annoying way of expressing "I don't know*". Really, how is heaven heavenly if you spend all your time being sad about your loved ones in hell? Talk about survivor's guilt!

I feel the same way. I do believe that we will remember them no more. Like you said it is very hard for us to comprehend that while we are still here on earth. I will let someone with more biblical knowledge then myself apply scripture to your question. I can only pray that those that I love who have already passed away DID accept His free gift to us. I have my doubts as to my dad's salvation and also my maternal grandparents as well as a favorite aunt.

Remember them no more? So, your heaven is like my nothing much? Also, what kind of person seriously considers that their "favorite" aunt is being eternally tortured right this minute with such sanguinity?

Answer: Many people say that the first thing they want to do when they arrive in heaven is see all their friends and loved ones who have passed on before them. In eternity, there will be plenty of time to see, know, and spend time with our friends and family members. However, that will not be our primary focus in heaven. We will be far more occupied with worshipping God and enjoying the wonders of heaven. Our reunions with loved ones are more likely to be filled with recounting the grace and glory of God in our lives, His wondrous love, and His mighty works. We will rejoice all the more because we can praise and worship the Lord in the company of other believers, especially those we loved on earth.


Doesn't answer the question and doesn't sound like fun. "Recounting the grace and glory of god in our lives"? I'd rather set my gums on fire.

The bolded part is the crux of the matter. God says that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts. We aren't capable of understanding and rationalizing everything about God. I have a hard time rationalizing God Himself, I have a hard time rationalizing Jesus performing the miracles He did, I can't rationalize living with a sinless and inccoruptable body forever...............in fact, alot of my "understanding" is based 100% on faith because for the things I can't "wrap my head around", my faith is my eyes and my "reasoning". Alot of times we just have to step out in faith and leave it at that.

I'll take "Ineffable for $200, Alex."

I think heaven will be such a joyful place that, the pain of knowing others who didn't make it will be grounded out.... I thank God that all my family are saved, but I do have alot of friends who are not yet saved at this point, and it does concern me, but when the rapture takes place will our joy in the presence of the Lord be robbed because they chose not to follow God?... I doubt it.

So that's what that third prong is for! Effectively, either you're as brain dead in heaven as you are in my scenario, or you're a selfish, selfish fuck who's so happy about winning you don't care what the penalty for losing is.



*My mother asked me last week what IDK means. Without thinking, I replied, "I don't know" and the conversation devolved into an Abbot and Costello routine from there.

11 comments:

  1. I think Paul said somewhere that the spouses of "saved" people are also saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So . . . who wants to take one for the team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My inaugural address at the Great White Throne Judgment of the Dead, after I have raptured out billions! My Cleansing/Culling/Evacuation of the Earth in my Conflagration at World's End! The Secret Rapture soon, by my hand! Stay tuned!
    Read My Inaugural Address
    My Site=http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/spaceman

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is up with the nutjobs, PF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I'm... surprised? concerned? ...that DM hasn't shown back up. I can't say I'm disappointed, but... well, he's been insisting that this past weekend was our "final warning." I hope he hasn't done himself any harm, or left his computer in order to harm anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The koran says numerous times that the saved will be able to taunt and mock those in hell. Seriously, it's one of the perks. I seem to remember somebody pointing out the same thing in the bible somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bible doesn't say too much about Hell (or Heaven, really) - at least not in the way of direct description. But Calvinist theologian Jonathan Edwards apparently taught that the bliss of Heaven would be increased by watching the damned in Hell. So, biblical or not, the idea is present in (certain strains of) Christian theology.

    http://www.jonathan-edwards.org/Eternity.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Supposedly, but I can't find where, Aquinas also said something of the sort, that the saved in heaven shall delight in the torment of the damned, possibly by watching them on their Hellevision sets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. As I'm sure everyone is burning with curiosity, I tracked down what Aquinas said:

    "In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned... So that they may be urged the more to praise God... The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens... to the damned. [Summa Theologica, Third Part, Supplement, Question XCIV, "Of the Relations of the Saints Towards the Damned," First Article, "Whether the Blessed in Heaven Will See the Sufferings of the Damned..."]

    Tertullian said something similar. Nice guys.

    We need a new word for "delighting in schadenfreude". How about "schadenfreudenfreude"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, German. The language in which, if a word doesn't exist, you can glom a few existing words together to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's true, it's a kind of flexibility English lacks, or at least doesn't use much. On the other hand, English is much more creative with transcending parts of speech: verbing nouns and nouning verbs, while frowned upon by self-appointed language mavens, definitely adds pizazz, imho.

    When I was a kid, you might have already been able to party, but you couldn't yet host a party, because host got verbed later than party. I don't get what's wrong with this kind of evolution: it adds possibilities of expression, and does not take away precision.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.