Friday, December 26, 2008

Missing the Point Entirely


Yeesh.


This is from smartchristian.com (apparently, in this guys' case, a contradiction in terms):


God’s ultimate future is a “new heaven-and-earth” (Revelation 21:1). In Christ, we become integreated into God’s “new creation” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
So, how does this biblical truth relate to Botox? Because we must ask: what is the internal driving motivation for men and woman to spend millions of dollars to “recreate” their bodies? I believe it is the God-given hope and longing for a “new creation,” a new resurrected body. This is some food for thought as we enter 2009.


Ok, I can't get botox due to medical conditions (I doubt even a supreme deity could say what would happen if you mix botox with porphyria), but I wish I could. I want to be the sort of person that loves their wrinkles and accepts aging with grace and dignity, but I'm not. I'm obsessed with my wrinkles and (incipient) sagging. If I spent half as much time on say, world peace, as I do looking in mirrors and buying antiwrinkle products (that don't work), the whole planet would be holding hands and singing Kumbaya right now.


I do not do this out of a desire for a "new resurrected body". I do this because I live in a culture where a 25 year old actress is old. I do this because every image of a woman I see has been airbrushed to oblivion. I do this because I have never, in my entire life, seen anyone look at a 19 year old and a 50 year old and say, that 19 year old just looks too smooth and tight. I hate myself for buying into this and I can't stop it.


Moron. (Me and him.)


The absolute worst part? See that picture above? That guy isn't real, he's from a video game. It's still a good representation of my taste in men. I especially like the scar. Yet I still am horrified that I can't manage airbrushed perfection in myself. If I could just cut myself the same slack that I cut everyone else in the universe, including the made-up people, I'd be a lot happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.