Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Son of Fred Phelps Speaks

nate, phelps, fred, westboro, american, atheism, atheist, baptist,
Nate Phelps, son of Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist fame, spoke at the American Atheists Convention.

It's a bit of a difficult read, but certainly worth it. Nate Phelps is clearly a good man, and Fred Phelps is to him both monster and father, and his shadow still looms large.

The danger inherent in these messages was not apparent to me until an event that occurred when I was about 8 years old. I recall sitting in a church pew, my father’s voice droning on in the background with yet another sermon about suffering for eternity in a lake of fire, where the worm that eats on you never dies. With an emerging obsessiveness, I’m determined to grasp the concept of eternity. As my mind struggled with this issue I’m suddenly in the midst of a panic attack. Tears come unbidden. The message was getting through.

3 comments:

  1. this makes me think about the fact that Ronald Reagan's son is an atheist and a democrat, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Erm, I usually talk about religion and science a lot more than lately (which is can be seen through my archives) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so apathetic at church sometimes...it's sad and a little scary. I remember one time I was at a friend's Chrisening (have no clue how that is spelled) ...too many hott guys to count. REALLY hard to pay attention..although having ADD doesn't help. XD

    It sucks that he went through that experience and it's kind of true. Little brain washers they are. Always make me think twice but then I go back to my Christian Paganism. I'm quite happy with my path thank you very much.

    I'm not sure what the point of this comment is but its ironic that the son of the pastor turned atheist. That happens a lot though, super religious parents turning their children atheist. I know one! Although she was also gay and her mom didn't want to accept her. So sad how people being over zealous about their beliefs can tear families apart....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.