Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'm Completely Irrational!

ray, comfort, religion, jesus, god, bible, psalm, colossians, romans, atheism, atheist, asshat,
Because I'm an atheist. All that stuff about logic and reasoning? It's a cover for my complete inability to form a coherent thought.

Mind you, this comes from Ray Comfort.

It's not my ultimate goal to convert anyone to theism. you coulda fooled me, Ray! This is because I am convinced that all sane humanity is theistic to some degree. ergo, i'm insane. chances are, so are you. (unless you're one of my pagan readers, in which case Ray apparently supports your choice.) The existence of creation tells a rational mind that there is a Creator (Romans 1:20*). again Ray embraces the circular argument that god exists because the bible says so, and the bible is true because it was written by god, and we know god exists because, yeah, you know. Argument over. from the Bush school of winning, I see. The alternative is to become a fool name calling: what you do when you run out of arguments. and believe that there was no Creator and what surrounds us isn't a "creation." and now we're arguing semantics. Ray wins the Most Logical Fallacies in One Paragraph Award.

Watch in wonder as Ray makes the most ridiculous analogy of all time:

Here's your dilemma. You are standing on the edge of a plane the edge of a plane?, 10,000 feet in the air. I scream to you amidst the noise amidst the noise? this man has written at least 30 books, mind you to put your parachute on. Your comeback is that you don't believe that the plane you are standing on could have had a maker. wtf does that have to do with anything? and why do i have to put on a parachute? is the plane going down? am I skydiving? But my goal isn't to have you acknowledge that the plane was made, but that you put on the parachute that's being offered to you (see Romans 13:14**).

in other words, even if you don't believe there is a god, you should start worshipping him right away to avoid hell. does Ray really need me to explain everything that is wrong with that statement?

How can I convince you to do that? it would help to convince me that god exists, first. unless you think worshipping the nonexistent makes sense. I can show you how you have violated the moral Law. no, you really can't. you'd have to show me the "moral law" was anything more than the standard rules of behavior every civilization embraces. Go through the Sermon on the Mount and examine your life in the light of "Whoever looks upon a woman to lust for her has committed adultery in his heart."

Full stop, Ray. You brought up the Sermon on the Mount, so now it's fair game. Let's take a look at a few other things that came up in the Sermon on the Mount.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.


"The law" Jesus was talking about? Jewish law, that includes such rules as never eating shellfish and not wearing clothes made of two types of fabric. What do you want to bet Ray breaks these laws all the time? In fact, he may very well be doing it right now. I am.

Think about how God is moral perfection prove that and how He sees your thought-life. my "thought-life"? essentially we've always been living in a considerably scarier version of 1984? well, I am just SO SCREWED. and fantasizing about that right now. in fact, I may as well just go do what I've been fantasizing about, if I'm going to be punished for random thoughts I cannot possibly control. Consider the Law that you must face we still haven't proven the law, god or the punishment!--a law that is far harsher than the unforgiving law of gravity from 10,000 feet. which i guess is different than the law of gravity from 5,000 feet?

Consider how you could "jump" today. wait, is this jumping with or without the parachute? Approximately 150,000 people will die in the next 24 hours. and they're all going to hell! You could be one of them. live life today, for tomorrow . . . You have no guarantee of tomorrow. Imagine if God lost patience with you and your godless beliefs. ummm . . . death is the punishment for sin? heaven must be a very lonely place. I'm appealing to your God-given fear. sigh. It's your friend, not your enemy. give in to irrationality and pretend to believe in order to pacify the sadistic skydaddy! Open the Bible, and make Psalm 51 your prayer. really? psalm 51:19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar. Please, think about your sins, you already got me started, Ray, it's all I'll be able to think about now. think about the cross. Jesus took your punishment upon Himself so your case could be dismissed. because punishing a completely innocent bystander for someone else's crimes is justice!

I have said it many times that the issue with the skeptic (or the "believer" who refuses to be obedient obey Ray!) is moral, not intellectual. whatever you do, don't think about it! wait, who's irrational? We don't need convincing of God's existence we who?, we need convincing of our terrible danger. on the edge of the plane . . . or something I care enough to warn you. well, i feel all warm and fuzzy inside. See Colossians 1:28***.

*Romans 1:20- For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

**Romans 13:14- But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

***Colosssians 1:28- Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

10 comments:

  1. Remember! The Bible proves the bible, every time. Do not question why that's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i'm not trying to convert you, i'm just trying to convert you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ray, he always makes me feel so rational and smart.
    I would really love for fundies to drop that damn "repent for you may die tomorrow!" thing. It's trite and kind of stupid.
    And while we're at it, would Ray like to take a look at what he's advocating? That it doesn't matter what you actually believe, you need to confess and say the magic words ASAP! Act like you're good and... well that's it really. Act like you're good. Be afraid of Jesus and his flaming sword of fire, and you'll be good.
    That's a really screwed up argument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He cites *Romans 1:20- "For the invisible things ... are clearly seen, " ROFL

    The fact that the people trying to convince me "of my terrible danger" are complete fuckwits tends to convince me I'm not in much terrible danger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uzza: you don't need to be mad mo' to see the invisible things, i guess.

    leigh: god is so omniscient, he can't tell the difference between sincere belief and avoiding-hell belief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The argument that you should believe in my God because if you don't you'll be sent to hell is a weak argument because there are many religions and hence many possible Gods. To paraphrase Denis Diderot quote about Pascal's Wager, "Am imam could reason the same way as Ray Comfort". The same sort of thing applies to any other hell/religion/god.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did Ray-Ray just invent The Hypothetical Plane?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hypothetical Edged Plane, no less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can i just say that i am *really* uncomfortable with Rayboy "supporting" my "choice"?

    its creepy. back off man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Whoever looks upon a woman to lust for her has committed adultery in his heart."

    That’s a double sin for me, since I’m a woman…I blame Michelle Pfeiffer and the HOT woman from the 5th Element.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are for you guys, not for me. Say what you will. Don't feel compelled to stay on topic, I enjoy it when comments enter Tangentville or veer off into Non Sequitur Town. Just keep it polite, okay?

I am attempting to use blogger's new comment spam feature. If you don't immediately see your comment, it is being held in spam, I will get it out next time I check the filter. Unless you are Dennis Markuze, in which case you're never seeing your comment.

Creative Commons License
Forever in Hell by Personal Failure is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at foreverinhell.blogspot.com.